This is not the usual soy sauce braised chicken. This chicken dish is deeply infused with galangal, tasted quite similar to Teochew braised duck except that this Galangal Chicken is much lighter in taste. Cooking process is also much simpler compared to braising a whole duck! If you like braised duck you will definitely like this wholesome flavoured Galangal Chicken too!
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 250ml water
- 12 slices fresh galangal
- 1 star anise
- 1 small pc cinnamon stick
- 1 1/4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp red chilli pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
- Rinse chicken, drain and pat dry. Rub with salt and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and brown sugar. Stir till sugar dissolve. Add chilli pepper and five-spice powder and mix well. Pour the mixture over the chicken. Turn the chicken to coat with the marinade evenly. Cling wrap the bowl and chill overnight.
- Fill a pot with water and place the chicken, breast side down, together with the marinade sauce.
- Put in star anise, cinnamon stick and galangal. Cover the lid and bring the sauce to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 mins.
- Gently flip the chicken over and continue to simmer for another 15-20 mins till thoroughly cook though.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and leave to cool down slightly before slicing up. Pour the sauce over the chicken before serving.