My healthier version of Teochew infamous dessert O-Ni "芋泥"...no refined sugar, no lard & coconut cream! But still as tasty & creamy :D
Yam Paste with Pumpkin & Gingko NutsIngredient (6 servings)
- 650g yam, skinned & cubed
- 7 tbsp substitute sugar (80gm sugar)
- 40gm corn oil
- 50gm gingko nuts
- 30gm pumpkin, diced
- 5 pcs water chestnuts, peeled & chopped
- cornstarch water
- Steam yam for 45mins. Mash while is hot.
- Place gingko nuts & pumpkin in a saucepan, add 100ml water & 2 tsp substitute sugar (or refined sugar). Bring to boil. Lower heat and cook till pumpkin is soft. Strain away liquid.
- Place water chestnuts with 5 tbsp water & 1 tbsp substitute sugar (or refined sugar) in a saucepan. Bring to boil. Add cornstarch water to thicken the sauce.
- Heat oil in wok, add mashed yam & sugar. Mix well and cook over low heat till paste is not sticky. (it will pull away from surface of the wok).
- Scoop yam paste into individual serving bowl. Divide cooked gingko nuts & pumpkin equally and place over the paste. Steam over boiling water for 30mins.
- Cool slightly and serve with water chestnuts sauce.
Super fast & simple dessert as I've used instant fresh lotus seeds.
White Fungus, Lotus Seeds & Honey Sea CoconutIngredient (10 servings)
- 50g white fungus, softened & trimmed
- 30gm seedless red dates
- 200gm fresh lotus seeds
- 300gm honey sea coconut
- 3 blades pandan leaves
- 8 cups water
- 200gm sugar
- Place white fungus, red dates, pandan leaves & water in a pot. Bring to boil. Lower heat & cook for 30mins.
- Add lotus seeds and sugar, boil for another 15mins.
- Cool slightly and scoop into individual serving bowl. Top with honey sea coconut.