This is the 2nd time I tried this steamed chicken with garlic & pandan leaves :D Today I shredded the cooked meat instead and make into a chilled salad and uses the bones to cook a soup :D
Steamed Chicken with Garlic & Pandan Leaves
Recipe Source : Cuisine Paradise
- 1 Kampong Chicken
- 6 slices of ginger
- 4 small garlic bulbs, lightly pound
- 1 stalk of spring Onion, cut into half
- 2 bundles of pandan leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Clean, trim and rinse the chicken thoroughly, pat dry with kitchen paper towels.
- Place chicken(breast side facing up) on deep steaming plate and rub ½ teaspoon of salt all over the chicken.
- Stuff cavity with garlic bulbs, 3-4 ginger slices, 1 bundle of pandan leaves and half portion of spring onion and scatter the rest of the ingredients on the sides and bottom of the chicken..
- Steam in a covered pot/wok over medium high heat for 10 minutes, flip the chicken over on another side and continue to steam for another 15 – 20 minutes.
- To test if the chicken is cooked, insert a chopstick into the thigh area if the liquid run out clear, it is cooked.
- Remove the chicken from pot to another plate, quickly rub 1 teaspoon of sesame oil all over it and let it rest for 5 – 10 minutes before cutting the chicken into bite size pieces and serve. OR
- Shred out the chicken meat, reserve the bones*.
- Coarsely grated 2 japanese cucumber. Squeeze out excess liquid as much as possible.
- Combine the grated cucumber & shredded chicken meat with 1 tsp light soya sauce & 1 tsp sesame oil. Mix evenly.
- Cling wrap and chill in fridge.
Tomato & Corn Chicken Soup
- Chicken Bones*
- 5 large tomatoes, quatered
- 2 corn cobs, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- Chicken Broth*
- Place chicken bones, tomatoes, corn cobs & carrot in a stock pot. Add 2200ml water. Bring to boil. Lower heat and cook for 2 hours. Add reserved chicken broth. Serve