Thursday, February 4, 2016

Kueh Belanda (Traditional Love Letters)

After a couple months hiatus from blogging, I'm finally trying to resume my 'work' slowly. No baking cookies nor cooking for this coming Chinese Lunar New Year as I want to continue my rest and relax mode ^0^. Until one fine day my dear friends plan a get-together to make Kueh Belanda (Tradtional Nonya Love Letters) using charcoal fire!! I do not want to give this a miss as it will be my first time making this traditional cookies. With our team work, we manage to churn out several containers of aromatic charcoal fire love letters! A tiring and back-breaking process, but it is a fun and definitely an unforgettable experience.


Extracting of fresh coconut milk done by Alan 

Subsequently eggs (10 eggs for a batch!) and sugar are beaten together, follow by adding in fresh coconut milk and finally the flour mixture. The batter is then sieved and ready to be used!


Preheating the mould before starting our back-breaking process of grilling the kueh belanda >.<



My role....tending to the heated moulds and in the process I burnt quite a handful of them while chit chatting away with my team mates hahahaha...^0^""


Irresistible aromatic & crispy homemade love letters!! *hehehe the background pineapple tarts are bought from a neighbourhood bakery which they freshly bake them everyday. 


Thanks Alan for sharing this wonderful recipe! 
Ingredient (approx. 80 pcs)
  • 250gm rice flour
  • 50gm tapioca flour
  • 320gm fine sugar
  • 400ml fresh coconut milk, first squeeze only
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 10 large eggs 
  • 1 tsp cooking oil (for greasing moulds the first time)

Kueh Belanda making team mates – Alan from Travelling Foodies , Annie from Annielicious Food and Edith from Rumbling Tummies. Though is a tiring and back-breaking process, having like-minded friends getting together make this job less boring and more fun with all the laughters!


2 comments:

Baking Scientist said...

Lovely! This kind of traditional love letters is my favourite!
Looks like a lot of work, I'm impressed!

mary said...

Hi Peng,

Happy Chinese New Year!

Glad to see you are back! Jia you!


mary

Related Posts with Thumbnails