Munching on a slice of my steamed rainbow cake while busying trying to get this blog post out.....went on to take a second slice as it was really delicious! 我没骗你们，味道真的不错！hehehe....This is a simple sponge cake (whole egg method) flavoured with coconut milk. No butter is added as the coconut milk is rich enough to give flavour and moisture to this lovely sponge cake. The layerings though can be further improved. You can see that the red layer is thinner than the rest, as I've distributed too much batter for the earlier colour layers. Hahaha lesson learnt...don't act smart....should have just follow the weight of each colour batter I've measured out! ^0^ The heat of the steamer is maintained at low heat all the way, this way the colour layerings will be even and no bulging at all! At least I'm very satisfy with the outcome of the rainbow layers...happy rainbow!! 🌈🌈🌈
Before (top pic) & after (bottom pic) slicing. The sliced section revealed how spongy the cake texture is! It does not have the texture like a chiffon cake which is light and fluffy. Instead this steamed rainbow cake texture is firm and yet soft.
- 6 eggs
- 200gm fine sugar
- 1 tsp cake emulsifier
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 280gm cake flour
- 200ml coconut milk
- Wilton food colouring paste : violet, blue, green, yellow, orange, red
- Grease a 8" square pan and preheat steamer.
- Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla, emulsifier and salt in a mixing bowl. Using a electric whisk, beat on high speed, about 8 mins, until the batter is thick and pale.
- Using a spatula, sieve in flour and fold into egg batter, in 3 additions, alternate with coconut milk.
- Divide mixture into 6 portions, approx. 165gm. Tinted each batter with food colourings accordingly.
- Spread the violet batter into the pan and steam for 5 mins over low heat. Repeat with blue, green, yellow, orange and red batter.
- For the final layer, steam for 15 mins till whole cake is cooked through.
- Remove pan from steamer. Rest cake in pan for 10mins. Unmould and cool completely on wire rack before slicing.
Can't stop snapping different angles of this steamed rainbow cake ^0^ so pleasing to the eyes!