Ingredient (approx. 20pcs each of pumpkin and sweet potato ondeh ondeh)
- 250gm fresh grated coconut
- 2 pandan leaves, cut into sections
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 250gm gula melaka, finely chopped
- 150gm glutinous rice flour
- 1 tbsp wheat starch
- 100gm mashed sweet potato/ pumpkin
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 120ml warm water (reduced liquid to 60ml if using mashed pumpkin)
- Toss grated coconut with salt and place into a plate with pandan leaves. Steam for 15 mins. Cool down. Finely chop palm sugar and set aside.
- Steam sweet potatoes and pumpkin for 20 mins or until soft. Mash till smooth.
- Sift flour and add into mashed sweet potato / pumpkin. Add in oil and water and knead till a soft dough is soft and pliable. Cover with damp cloth and rest for 30mins.
- Divide dough into small pieces, about 17gm. Flatten each dough and wrap in 1/2 tsp chopped gula melaka. Seal the edge tightly.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Lower heat and gently drop in glutinous rice balls one by one. Stir gently to prevent the balls from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Cook over low heat till balls float to the surface.
- Drain the cooked rice balls and roll them over the plate of steamed grated coconut. Serve.