My kids simply adore Japanese curry which has a slightly sweeter tone, though they can accept much spicier food than this. This is the first time I tried Japanese style curry served with udon instead of rice. Its really quick to whip up too! You can opt to add meat like pork or chicken into the curry gravy, but I omitted as I've prepared some chicken katsu which is my kids favourite too! ^0^ Love the udon which coats the thick curry gravy, every mouthful is slurpy-licious!
Recipe ref : recipetineats.com
- 3x90gm Hakubaku Organic Udon
- 50gm spring onion
- 125gm chikuwa
- 120gm dried beancurd
- 120gm white shimeiji mushroom
- 1500ml dashi stock
- 2 tbsp meat curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 tbsp corn flour
- 10 tbsp dashi stock
- 8 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 4 tbsp mirin
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add dried beancurd and blanch for 1 min to remove excess oil. Squeeze dry the beancurd and slice. Cut spring onion into sections and slice chikuwa into half.
- Combine curry mixture and mix well. Set aside.
- In a deep saucepan, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add shimeiji mushroom and fry till fragrant. Add in dried beancurd, chikuwa and spring onion, fry briefly. Pour in dashi stock and bring to boil at medium high heat.
- Lower heat slightly. Drizzle in curry mixture gradually, stirring continuously at the same time. When sauce starts to thicken and bubbling, turn off heat.
- Prepare a pot of water to boil. Add in dried udon and cook over boiling water for 10mins. Drain and rinse with cold water. Divide udon among 4 serving bowls. Ladle over curry sauce and serve immediately.