Its been a while I've tried this kind of flaky mooncake crust and I'm really happy with the results with this batch of flaky apple mooncake! It looks complicated to achieve this multi-layered colourful crust, is actually quite straight forward if you get the technique right. ^0^ There are plenty of videos on You Tube which you can refer to, which I did so! Hopefully you can understand the process by referring to my pictures as below. :)
Ingredient (14 pcs)
- 70gm plain flour
- 10gm icing sugar
- 20gm shortening
- 30ml water
- 75gm plain flour
- 40gm shortening
- food colouring red, yellow, green
Filling : 500gm low sugar apple lotus filling + 20gm toasted melon seeds, knead well and divide into 14 portions
- Combine water dough ingredients, mix well and form into dough. Cover and rest for 30 mins.
- Combine oil dough, mix well. Divide into 3 equal portions and add food colourings. Cover and rest for 30mins.
- Lightly floured a working surface, roll out water dough into a 18cm square. For individual coloured oil dough, roll out the pink dough flat and squarish on a plastic sheet. Overturn the pink oil dough onto the rolled out water dough. Gently remove the plastic sheet. Repeat the steps for yellow and green oil dough.
- Enclose the both side by lifting the left and right edge to the centre. Press down gently to flatten. Rest the dough for 20 mins. Dust a rolling pin lightly. Lightly flatten out the dough. Turn the dough over, seams side down. Roll out thinly into a large rectangle shape. Starting from the pink area, roll up firmly like a swiss roll. Trim of the both ends*. Divide the dough into 2 parts and cut each part into 7 equal portions.
- Flatten each round disc and roll out into a thin circle. Wrap with filling and seal the edge firmly. *Decorate with leaves using balance dough. Place the wrapped dough onto a lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 20-25 mins till baked through. Cool completely before storing.
Recipe ref : Y3K Mooncake