Good old-schooled breakfast! Homemade pandan kaya spreaded on toast and soft boiled eggs with a cuppa of hot coffee!
The basic ingredients for making this pandan kaya using slow cooker!! I've tried bain-marie and directly stove method. Thanks to my friend Catherine whom introduced this slow cooker method which is easy peasy to whip up this yummylicous coconuty egg jam! ^0^ No standing in front of the hot stove stirring the mixture constantly!! I love it!
- 6 eggs, approx 55gm each
- 400ml organic light coconut cream
- 200gm fine sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh pandan juice extract
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 50gm coconut powder
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix till well combine.
- Sieve the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 1.5-2 hours, stirring occasionally in between until it thickens.
- Cool down and store in clean jar and chill.
i) My small slow cooker only have auto and high heat function. So I've used auto heat throughout the cooking process.
ii) The mixture only started to thicken after 1 hour. It will curdles slightly. I used a sieve to go through the mixture to smoothen out the texture.
iii) I continue to cook for about 10mins. Mixture will thicken further as it cool down.
iv) If the kaya curdles at the end of the cooking duration, use a electric whisk and beat till smooth.
The mixture looks rather runny as per the video above after 1.5 hours of cooking. But it further thickens up upon cooling and chilling!