When my sweet little girl saw me slicing up the cake and the stripes patterns appeared, she exclaimed : "Mummy you made a tiger cake! So cool!" and she imitated to roar like a tiger at the same time....hahaha ok that means I'm successful in making this cake looks like tiger cake ^0^.
This is a simple orange coco butter cake. The black stripes is actually made with black cocoa powder instead of the usual cocoa powder! The price is rather steep too, 200gm about S$9++. You can just use normal cocoa powder like hershey brand if you can't get hold of the black version one.
Ingredient (7" round cake)
- 250gm butter
- 170gm castor sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 200gm plain flour
- 50gm cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100ml fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp fresh orange zests
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- orange food colouring
- 15gm black cocoa powder
- Sift flour and baking powder together, set aside.
- Using a electric whisk, cream butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beat well after each addition.
- Fold in flour, alternate with orange juice. Ending with flour mixture and fold till well incorporated.
- Divide batter into 2 portions, approx. 500gm each.
- Add in orange zest and extract into one portion. Fold in cocoa powder into the other portion.
- Spoon each batter alternately into a lined 7" cake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 50-60 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10mins. Unmould and cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.