Another unusual meal I've prepared for the kids....crispy fried chicken with buttermilk waffles! I seldom make deep fried food for them, therefore when they saw this being served, they were absolutely delighted!
I've used skinless chicken thigh, less sinful without the skin :) The buttermilk waffles tasted really crisp and light when freshly made. But alas one side of the waffle maker plate seems to be wearing off soon, uneven browning and losing its non-stick quality.
Crispy Fried ChickenIngredient
- 1 kg skinless chicken thigh
- 2 tbsp ginger juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp mashed garlic
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp fried chicken powder
Coating (mix well)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 5 tbsp fried chicken powder
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
* 1 large bowl of water filled with ice cubes
- Coat the chicken thighs evenly with marinade and chill overnight.
- The next day, remove the marinated chicken fridge and allow to come to room temperature before frying.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Coat the chicken with coating mixture, shake away excess. Briefly dip the coated chicken into icy water. Remove and repeat coating the chicken.
- Gently slide the chicken pieces, in batches, and fry over medium heat until the chicken pieces are golden brown and crisp. Drain well on kitchen paper before serving.
- 250gm plain flour
- 2 tbsp fine sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 500ml buttermilk
- 120ml unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, vanilla and eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture into flour and mix until the batter is just combined.
- Heat waffle machine and brush with oil. Scoop batter onto heated iron and cook until waffles are golden brown and crisp, about 5 mins. Repeat till all batter are used up.