Oooh such a lovely golden glistening roasted chicken leg! This is a dish I could not make it as frequent as I've run out of kumquat jam! Kumquat season is over and not available in the market now, so not able to make some homemade kumquat jam at the moment. But I've still got plenty of pickled salted kumquats in the fridge. Maybe I could substitute it with orange marmalade or apricot jam if I am to bake this again :D
Homemade salted kumquats which I preserved for over 3 months :)
chopped preserved kumquat and other seasoning rubbed over chicken thighs and marinated overnight
- 3 whole chicken leg
- 5 salted kumquats
- 1 tsp kumquat brine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp kumquat jam
- Rinse and pat dry chicken leg.
- Halved salted kumquats and remove the seeds. Chopped finely.
- Combine chopped salted kumquats, brine, olive oil, sugar, water , black pepper and chilli flakes to form a paste.
- Coat the chicken with the kumquat paste evenly on all sides. Leave to marinate overnight in fridge.
- Line fresh basil on a baking sheet (optional). Place marinated chicken leg over and bake in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for 35 mins, turning once half-way through. At the last 5 mins, brush the kumquat jam all over the chicken leg.
- Remove from oven at serve along with green salad.