Sweet caramelised apples with buttery, moist and nutty sponge base, a perfect slice of cake for the afternoon tea!
Grease a pan and placed in caramelised apples
Spread over cake batter and bake till golden brown
Overturned onto a serving plate and serve warm!
- 120gm unsalted butter
- 100gm sugar plus 80gm sugar
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into eighths, cored
- 120gm cake flour
- 60gm yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 125ml buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- Melt 50gm butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add 100gm sugar and stir until sugar melts and turns golden brown, about 3 mins. Add apples and saute over medium heat until apples are just tender and coated with caramel, about 12 mins. Immediately pour mixture into prepared pan, distribute apples and caramel evenly over bottom of the pan.
- Using a electric whisk, beat remaining butter and 80gm sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Sift over flour, cornmeal, baking soda & salt and fold in buttermilk alternately. Spread the batter gently over the apples.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35-40 mins until golden brown. Cool cake in pan for 5 mins. Use a knife to loosen the edge of the cake. Place a serving plate over pan. Firmly grasp pan and plate together and turn over. Gently lift pan off cake. Serve warm.