I was supposed to follow Jamie Oliver's Sweet & Spicy Beer Can Chicken but alas my tiny table-top oven could not fit the 'standing' chicken....hahaha. So I gave up that beer can idea and just adapt part the spice rub as the marination :D No stuffing of beer can, try lemons! This is another good method to yield tender and juicy chicken breast too! See my previous attempt on Lemony Rosemary Chicken which I also stuffed it with sliced lemons :D
Sweet & Spicy Roast Chicken
- one 1.4kg chicken
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3 tbsp Korean bbq sauce (pineapple)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- Crush fennel seeds and black pepper in a pestle & mortar. Combine with the rest of the spice and sugar evenly.
- Drizzle oil all over the chicken. Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken including the cavity. Cover and let it marinate overnight in fridge.
- On the day of baking, bring the chicken to room temperature. Stuff the lemon halves into the chicken cavity. Place the chicken on a lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for 60mins. Remove the chicken from oven. Brush the bbq sauce evenly over the chicken. Return the chicken to oven and bake for another 10 mins until dark & sticky.
This is a Duo Potatoes Crisp Bake (russet & purple sweet potatoes) which is well received by everyone! It takes quite time to layer it neatly into the casserole. So while the chicken is roasting in the oven, I take my own sweet time to do the layerings :D
- 650gm russet potatoes
- 350gm purple sweet potatoes
- 60gm unsalted butter
- 40gm olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried italian mixed herbs
- Peel both potatoes and slice thinly. Place the sliced sweet potatoes in a preheated steamer and steam for 10mins till slightly soften.
- Prepare a 8" square casserole. Combine butter and olive oil in a small saucepan. Dissolve the butter over low heat.
- Pour the oil over the potatoes, mix well together with salt and dried herbs.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes (together with the oil mixture) vertically into the casserole and fully fill up the space. Gently tuck the steamed purple sweet potatoes between the potatoes layers.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for 45 mins until the edge of the potatoes are browned and crisp.
As the roast chicken and potatoes are already flavourful in taste, I just prepare a real simple Garlicky Angel Hair Aglio Olio. Just saute 1 tbsp of minced garlic with 3 tbsp olive oil till fragrant, toss in 250gm cooked Angel Hair and mix them up evenly. Throw in a handful of halved cherry tomatoes for a touch of colours :D