My kids always over the moon whenever they know that I'm preparing Japanese Curry Rice for them. Now they are triple delighted in enjoying this baked version which added cheese and egg! Happy kids....happy tummies....happy Mommy! Really like this recipe from Happy Homemaking which I made some minor adjustment since I'm using a different curry roux from her recipe.
Cook the Japanese curry as usual. Spread the curry over cooked rice, topped with cheese and crack in a egg...as simple as that!
Happy Kids Meal Set ^0^
Oooh...so creamy & cheesy!
- 450gm boneless & skinless chicken thigh meat, cut into bite size
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 russet potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, cubed
- 3 cups water
- 5 Japanese curry roux (Vermont brand, medium hot)
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- cooked short grain rice
- broccoli floret, blanched
- pizza plus cheese
- Saute chopped onions with the 3 tbsp oil in a deep pan until softened and lightly browned. Add in the minced garlic and chicken, saute the meat till lightly browned. Add in potatoes and carrots and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and let it simmer for about 10~15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add curry roux and ketchup, simmer for 10 minutes, or until thickens. Keep stirring to ensure the curry roux is fully dissolved.
- For each serving, place about 1.5 cup of cooked rice in an oven-proof dish. Spoon roughly 1 cup of the Japanese curry over the rice. Sprinkle cheese over the surface. Put some blanched broccoli on top. Make a slight dent in the middle and crack in an egg.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for about 10-12 mins or until the cheese turn golden brown and the eggs are almost set.