Thursday, July 16, 2015

Kong Bah Pau (扣肉包)

"Ewwww....so fatty!" that's what my son exclaimed. hahaha But I assured him that it is not oily at all! Then my 5 year old girl spouted out : "give me give me...I want!" hahaha in the end she eaten the fatty (skin) portions and said : "nice! just like jelly" ^0^ Actually I'm not a fan of pork belly also, but this braised pork belly is absolutely delicious that I could not resist it too! 


Kong Bah Pau...the classic way to serve the braised pork belly between a fluffy steamed leaf bun! Or simply dip the plain buns into the sweet and thick gravy, equally yummy too.

I chomped down 3 of these lovely buns! 

Spice ingredients 

fresh pork belly

dunked into icy cold water after boiling for 10 mins

slice into 1cm x 7cm slices

simmer the pork belly for 1/2 hour over stove and further steaming for 2 hours yields a tender and succulent texture.

Ingredients
  • 1.2kg pork belly
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 3 star anise
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 4 slices ginger
  • 2 dried bay leaves
  • 3 stalk spring onion
  • 1½ tbsp oil
  • 80gm raw slab sugar, 冰片糖
  • 6 tbsp light soya sauce
  • 4 tbsp red dates thick soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 500ml broth
  • 2 tbsp Chinese wine, 花雕酒

Method
  1. Cook the pork in boiling water for 10 mins, remove and soak it in icy cold water for 5 mins. Slice each pork belly slab into approx. 1cm x 7cm pieces.
  2. Heat oil in a casserole, pan fry the pork slices on both sides till golden brown. Add in broth, seasoning and spices. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1/2 hour.
  3. Transfer the casserole (cover with a lid or foil) into a preheated steamer and steam over low heat for 2 hours until pork belly is tender soft.
  4. Drizzle in the wine and steam for another 15 mins. Serve warm with rice or steamed leaf buns.
* I've cooled down the braised pork belly and chill it overnight. The next day, I scraped away the layer of fats that had solidified. Re-steamed the dish thoroughly before serving.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What broth do you use?

Peng said...

Kelvin Tong....I've used the broth from boiling the pork belly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails