This herbal tea leaves egg is a simple dish which I prepare quite often at home as the big kid and small kids simply love eggs! One carton of 12 eggs usually disappear very fast that my hubby ask me to buy a big tray of 30 eggs instead >.<
Ingredients for the spice broth : Chinese tea leaves, rock sugar, star anise, liquorice root
Boil the broth for a while before adding in tea leaves and hardboiled egg and continue to simmer for another 1 hour or more.
Love the marbling on the eggs!
- 12 large eggs
- 1 tbsp salt
- 30gm Chinese tea leaves
- 5 pcs star anise
- 5gm liquorice root
- 120ml light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 50gm crushed rock sugar
- 1200ml water
- Wash and clean eggs thoroughly. Place the eggs into a pot together with salt. Add water enough to submerge all the eggs.
- Bring to boil and lower heat, simmer for 5 mins and remove from heat. Transfer eggs into a bowl of icy cold water to stop the cooking process.
- When the eggs have cooled completely, lightly crack the shells with the back of a metal spoon.
- Combine spices and water in a pot and bring to boil for 5 mins.
- Add in eggs and tea leaves, bring to boil again. Cover and simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
- Turn off heat and continue to steep the eggs for at least 30mins, with lid on. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note : For unfinished portion, remove the eggs from the broth and keep in a air-tight container. Strain the broth, discard the tea leaves. Keep the broth in another separate container. Keep both containers in fridge. To serve, take some eggs and place in a heatproof bowl. Ladle some broth over. Cover the bowl and microwave for 3-5 mins until heated through. Best consume within 3 days.
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (July 2015 Event: Tea)
and hosted by Cheryl of Baking Taitai