It's been a while I've prepared little steamed cakes for my gluten monsters ^0^ I want something quick and simple to prepare, so this stir, mix and steam recipe is a good choice! Palm sugar with coconut milk won't go wrong hahaha....this little Apom tasted so soft and moist with very rich coconut taste.
This steamed cake should look rounded after steaming, but one of it split open like a 'Huat Kueh'! hahaha luckily only one split.
I like these cute silicon moulds which unmould the cakes easily without the need of greasing :D
Recipe ref : 'Time for Kuih-Muih' by Y3K Cookbooks
Ingredient (approx 10 small cakes)
- 100gm gula melaka, chopped into small pieces
- 30gm castor sugar
- 75ml water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 blades pandan leaves, knotted
- 160gm cake flour
- 3/4 tsp doube action baking powder
- 150ml thick coconut milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 50ml corn oil
- Simmer ingredient (A) over low heat till sugar is well dissolved. Strain and cool mixture. Add in (C) and set aside for 10mins.
- Sift (B) over coconut milk mixture in 3 batches, folding well each addition. Fold in oil.
- Spoon batter into paper cups. Steam over preheated steamer over medium heat for 15 mins.