Most of us should be familiar with sweet and sour pork dish. How about turning it into a vegetarian dish? It actually taste as good as the meat version one or even better! Even my kids could not get enough of them :D The only thing am not satisfied with this dish is the sweet & sour sauce. The taste is fine, just that the amount is way too little to coat everything evenly though I've adjusted from the original recipe. I will either further fine tune this sauce ingredient or substitute the sauce from this recipe : sweet & sour pork if I should attempt this dish again :)
Carrots, vegetarian ham, tofu puffs, walnuts, mushroom and firm tofu
before and after frying the tofu balls
Recipe ref : Yum Yum Magazine Feb 2014
- 200gm firm tofu, diced
- 2 tbsp organic oat milk powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 50gm vegetarian ham, finely diced
- 3 small tofu puffs, finely diced
- 2 dried shiitake mushroom, softened and finely diced
- 50gm carrots, finely diced
- 5 toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 small white onion, cube
- 10 pieces canned pineapple cubes
- 50gm green capsicum, sliced
- 50gm red capsicum sliced
- 10 tbsp juice from canned pineapple
- 2 tsp plum sauce
- 2 tbsp thai chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Mash tofu till fine. Combine mashed tofu with remaining ingredients A and mix well. Stir in beaten egg whites and mix well. Chill in fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Remove tofu mixture from fridge and form into small balls. Heat oil in a pan. Gently slide in tofu balls and pan fried till all sides are golden brown. Drain well on kitchen paper.
- Using same pan, saute onion till soft and fragrant. Add in remaining ngredients B and saute till fragrant.
- Add in ingredients C and cook till sauce slightly thickens. Add in splash of water if necessary. Adjust taste accordingly.
- Add in fried tofu balls and toss gently to coat the sauce. Dish up and serve immediately.
And I'm submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes #3 - Taste of Autumn (Oct/Nov 2014)" hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.