I still prefer homemade creamy pasta sauce compared to the commercial one which loaded with MSG and flavourings. Creamy cheesy pasta is also my kids favourite compared to tomato based one :D So expected to see the kids polish up their plates very clean and request for 2nd helping! *Happy Mummy* ^0^
1st step browned the chicken first, followed by sautéing the onions and garlic. Add in flour and seasoning to create a roux. Pour in stock and cream and simmer till thickens. Yumz! Lastly stirred in chicken, sun-dried tomato and cheese.
The original recipe uses Penne pasta, but while grocery shopping with my girl she exclaimed :"I want ribbon one!" hahaha so in the end I got the Farfella instead of Penne ^0^ Combine cooked broccoli & farfella pasta together in a pot.
Pour the prepared sauce over the broccoli & pasta and mix well
Ladle into individual casserole and sprinkle some cheddar cheese over
Bake till golden brown and ready to serve!
- 300gm boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 350gm broccoli, stalk removed, florets cut into small pieces
- 250gm farfella pasta
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 550ml chicken stock
- 200ml double cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 200gm sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped into pieces
- 90gm mozzarella cheese
- handful of cheddar cheese for topping
- Marinate diced chicken with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, 1 tsp olive oil. Set aside for at least 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil. Add in 1/2 tbsp salt and add in broccoli. Cook for about 1 min, remove the broccoli and set aside. Return the water to a boil and add in the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- In some olive oil in a deep pan. Add marinated chicken and brown them for about 2-3 mins on each side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add in 1 tbsp olive in pan. Saute onion till fragrant and softened. Stir in garlic and dried thyme and cook for a min.
- Add flour, salt & pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until golden for about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in chicken stock and cream, bring to a simmer, whisking often.
- Add the chicken, sun dried tomatoes, stir well. Add in mozzarella cheese and stir well. Turn off heat.
- Combine pasta and broccoli in a pot. Pour in sauce filling and stir well to mix everything.
- Transfer the pasta mixture into individual casserole and sprinkle some cheddar cheese over.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for about 15 mins until cheese is golden brown. Serve immediately.
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe