I usually bake whole chicken using simple ingredients like garlic, herbs, lemon and olive oil. Using oranges in place of lemon equally attribute a lovely citrus flavour. In addition the flesh of the baked oranges can be served along with the chicken unlike lemon which is too sour and tart to consume directly. The garlic-buttered mixture hidden beneath the skin of the chicken breast also prevented the meat from turning tough after baking. I've kept a portion of the chicken breast the next day, and it still tasted moist and tender after warming up briefly in the microwave :D
Recipe source : Martha Stewart
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 navel oranges, 1 zested, both cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme, plus extra sprigs for stuffing
- 2 red onion, cut into wedges
- black pepper
- 1 whole chicken
- Mash garlic with butter, salt, zests and chopped thyme. Gently separate skin from breast of chicken. Rub half of the butter mixture under the skin on each side and inside cavity. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill cavity with 2 orange wedges, 1 onion wedge and thyme sprigs. Place the chicken, breast side up, on a rimmed baking sheet, and tuck wings under. Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Scatter remaining orange (reserve a wedge for extracting the juice) and onions around chicken. Dot oranges and onions with some butter mixture. Squeeze the wedge of orange juice over the whole chicken. Sprinkle over black pepper.\
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for 30mins. Remove from oven. Flip the oranges and onion. Brush chicken with remaining butter mixture. Continue to roast chicken for another 35 mins until golden brown. Let rest for 10mins before serving.
I'm linking this post to Cook Like A Star, All-Stars Anniversary Party, hosted by Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids, Mich of Piece of Cake and Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.
I'm sharing this post with Little Thumbs Up April 2014 Event - Orange organised by Bake For Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY hosted by Anncoo Journal