I love anything chocolatey, therefore I won't miss out this particular Bake Along #51 on Chocolate Cream Pound Cake! :D This is a simple chocolate cake, though is on a dry side which I did not anticipate it to be. Not the best chocolate cake I've baked but is still a tasty cake with a very crumbly and soft texture.
Ingredients(modified from "Cake Keeper Cakes", Lauren Chattman)
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 140gm plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 120gm unsalted butter, softened
- 200gm sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg cel. Line a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- Sift the cocoa powder through a fine strainer and into a heatproof bowl. Place the cream in a microwave-safe measuring cup and heat until just boiling, 30 seconds to 1 minute depending on the power of your microwave. Pour the hot cream over the cocoa and stir and mash with a spoon to make a thick paste. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice as necessary. Beat in the cocoa powder paste until smooth.
- With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture, in 2 additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. After the last addition, mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake the cake until it is firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, invert it onto a wire rack, and then turn it right side up on a rack to cool completely. Slice and seve.
- Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.