Finally managed to rush out this cake in the morning before sending my girl to school! This cream cheese pound weighed approx. 1,242gm! hehehe yes I weighed it as I am curious how heavy is this huge loaf of pound cake >.< When I unmould the cake the first impression I got is that it looks like a loaf of bread 'cos of its overall light brown crust :)
Though the title of the cake indicated that it is baked in a cold oven, but my convection oven does not function without prior preheating. So I went ahead with my usual baking function. The cake still rises well and brown evenly though not extremely golden brown. Only one thing am not happy is the appearance of the slices. Why is it so poker face? >.< Mostly likely I created too much air bubbles when I beat in the flour mixture. Other than this the texture is moist and smooth with a subtle taste of ginger in every bite. After a bite of the cake, my hubby asked me what do I add inside the cake? pepper? hahaha....
Recipe source : Cake Keeper by Lauren Chatman
375gm cake flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
225gm unsalted butter
250gm cream cheese
1 tbsp vanilla paste
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp lime juice
- Combine butter, cream cheese and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beat well after each addition. Beat in vanilla, ginger & lime juice.
- Sift in flour, baking powder and salt over in batches, beating on low speed on each addition.
- Scrape batter into lined pan and place the cake in the cold oven. Turn the oven to 160 deg cel and bake for 60mins or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (Note : I bake the cake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 1 hour and 15 mins)
- Cool the cake in pan for 15mins, then invert onto rack to cool completely.