Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Fresh Cactus Sweet Corn Chicken Soup

Another interesting soup recipe to share. Nowadays is quite common to see fresh cactus available in supermarket. Not until when I see reviews that it taste nice then I pick up the courage to try this out :p It actually has a simple recipe attached on the packaging but I improvised slightly from there. It is not cheap though, about S$1+/- per 100gm, so I thought it better turns out good after cooking if not waste my $$$ hehehe....The moment my hubby saw this fresh cactus and exclaimed 'wah so exotic!! what are you cooking!?'

Benefit of cactus? It contains beta carotene, iron, vitamin C and calcium, so overall is a healthy food though it does not look appealing :P



so how does it taste like?? Initially I was skeptical to add the whole fruit into the soup without peeling the skin, as I worry that it will gives a bitter and raw taste >.< Indeed after 1 hour of brewing I tasted the soup and yes it does taste slightly bitter!! and I started to worry that I may have to dump the whole pot of soup later on...but I continue with the brewing for another 1 hour or so.  Phew... the taste was not that bad after all :D It is slightly sweet, maybe from the honey dates and sweet corn added, with a mild bitter aftertaste, tasted almost like a thin ginseng soup :D 



Ingredient
  • 650gm fresh cactus
  • 1 kampong chicken, excess fats trimmed
  • 1 corn corb, sliced
  • 4 pc dried huai shan
  • 2 candied dates
  • 2 slices ginger
  • salt to taste

Method
  1. Scrub the skin of the cactus thoroughly. Slice into large chunks.
  2. Scald chicken with hot water. Place all in a pot with 2L water. Bring to boil and simmer for 2hrs. Season with salt to taste.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails