I was so fascinated by the layers of this butter cake when I saw the recipe from Wendy's blog :D I could not wait to see how my cake turns out after baking! My cake was rather short as I did not thaw the eggs well enough and it affected the volume of the batter. At first glance, I thought my cake was rather ugly >.< Nevertheless it is still a nice butter cake with firm crumbs :D
- 250gm butter
- 250gm sugar (I used 220gm)
- 5 medium eggs
- 300gm cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125ml evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pandan paste
- Cocoa powder for creating the topo lines (I used approximately 3 Tbsp)
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Sift half the flour into the butter mixture and beat on low speed until well combined.
- Mix in the evaporated milk until well combined.
- Sift the balance of flour into the mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
- Divide the batter to two. Mix vanilla extract to one part and pandan paste to the other.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg cel and lined a 7" square pan.
- Spread 1/2 the pandan batter (or vanilla whichever you prefer) into pan. Level it.
- Evenly sift a thin layer of cocoa powder over.
- Very very gently dollop half of the other colour over and gently level it. Repeat the sifting of cocoa powder.
- Repeat layering with both colours, with the final layer clean (no cocoa powder on top).
- Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Different variations : Divided batter into 4 equal portions : add vanilla paste into 2 plain portions, 1/2 tsp pandan paste into 1 portion and 1/2 tsp strawberry paste into another portion :)