While browsing my own blog, realised I've baked a pandan chiffon almost once every year in 2008, 2010 and 2011 using different recipe, except in 2009 :D So before the ends of 2012, I decided to make another pandan chiffon with a twist! NO artifiicial flavorings and colorings! I've used my favourite 2011 pandan chiffon recipe and did some changes. Oh my even without pandan essence added, the pandan leaves juice is good enough to give the chiffon cake a natural green hue and fragrant!!
Blend the shredded pandan leaves with coconut milk and sieve.
- 125gm cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150ml thick coconut pandan milk*
- 5 egg yolks
- 60ml corn oil
- pinch of salt
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 130gm sugar
* I used a pack of 200ml ayam brand coconut milk and blend with 10 blades of shredded pandan leaves.
- Beat egg yolks with 50gm sugar till sugar is well dissolves. Whisk in coconut pandan milk,corn oil and salt till evenly mix.
- Sift over cake flour & baking powder. Fold till mixture is smooth and free of lumps.
- In a clean dry bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar and beat till stiff.
- Add 1/3 beaten egg whites to the yolk batter, fold till combined.
- Slowly fold the mixture into the remaining egg whites.
- Pour batter into a non-greased 9" tube pan and bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 40-45mins or till golden brown.
- Remove the cake from oven and invert to cool completely before unmoulding.
Just a silly experiment to test the texture of the chiffon :D It springs back!
Updated version I've baked on 4 Dec 2017!! Same ingredients except I've replaced the coconut milk with Ayam brand premium coconut milk. Equally fragrant and delicious cake!