As per wikipedia .... Linzer tart is originated from Austrian and named after the city Linz. It is a short, crumbly pastry filled with raspberry jam and covered with a lattice design on top of the pastry. It is a traditional pastry often eaten during Christmas by the European countries.
The process of making the pastry and filling is very simple, except when comes to making the lattice pattern. While rolling the dough into thin ropes, certain section keep broken up >.< I tried my best to get a even thin rope and gently place over the jam, and still some part broken up again. Of course it can be patched up by joining the pastry together but this result the lattice pattern to crack after baking, like mine hehehe.....During the baking process I realised the middle of the tart rise up quite high, as if its going to explore anytime! phew....it actually went back to its original state after cooling down :D Nevertheless, despite some unsightly cracks here and there, I still love this pretty jeweled looking pastry!
Recipe adapted from Good Housekeeping
- 150gm ground almonds
- 155gm plain flour
- 65gm light brown sugar
- 85gm unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup raspberry jam
- To make fiiling : Heat cranberries, sugar & orange juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5 mins until berries pop and mixture thickens slightly. Turn off heat and stir in raspberry jam. Cool before use.
- To make tart base : With a electric whisk, beat butter and sugar until well blended.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until light and creamy.
- Sieve in flour, ground almonds, cinnamon, salt & baking powder, beat lightly in 2-3 batches until a soft dough is formed.
- Remove 2/3 of the dough and press into the bottom and sides of a 9" tart pan. Chill tart shell and remaining dough in fridge for 30mins.
- Spread cranberry-raspberry jam over tart base. Divide remaining dough into 10 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a thin rope. Place 5 ropes, 1.5" apart, over filling. Make lattice top with remaining 5 ropes.
- Trim ends of the ropes with edge of the tart. Press ends to seal. With any remaining trimmings, make rope for tart shell and press around inside edge of tart. Make decorative edge with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35-40mins , until fillings it hot and bubbly and crust is lightly browned. Cool on wire rack for at least one hour. Sprinkle tart with icing sugar and carefully unmould.