I bought a new thermal cooker recently and I never try using this kind of cooker before. Therefore I've chosen this recipe which requires long hours of stewing to test out the result of the thermal cooker :D Yumz! The beef stew is very flavourful and tender and taste even better the next day!
Recipe adapted from Table for 2
- 1 kg beef, cut into 1" cube
- 400gm carrots, cut into chunks
- 200gm tomato, cut into large cubes
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 bay leaves
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp white peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 cups of water
Method (I use thermal cooker)
- Heat slow cooker on high.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok. Brown beef cubes in batches, if necessary. Dish up, drain well, the beef and transfer to the preheating slow cooker. Retain oil in wok.
- Add garlic and onion and saute until fragrant, put in crushed peppers. Cook until onions are soft and translucent. Put in bay leaves, rosemary and thyme.
- Put in carrots and celery and cook until they are heated through.
- Put tomato onto beef in pot. No need to stir.
- Then place the cooked carrots, celery and everything else from the wok.
- Put 1 cup water in wok, bring to boil (to deglaze the wok), pour the boiling water into the slow cooker.
- Add beef stock and more water until it almost covers the vegetables.
- Let it cook on high for 2 hours, then turn to low for another 4 hours. Add more salt if needed.