Not able to recall when is the last time I tasted this kueh >.< But I do remember I loves the spicy prawn fillings! As I want to serve this for my kids, I use pork floss instead, inspired by My Baking Journal ;) I will definitely try the spicy version in future!
Recipe adapted from My Baking Journal & Lena from Frozen Wings
- 300gm glutinous rice, washed and soaked for 4 hours, drained
- 200ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 pcs pandan leaves, knotted
- 2 tbsp bunga telang liquid
- 8 pcs 12 x 15cm banana leaves, blanched with hot water to soften
- 1 nori seaweed
- pork floss
- Put glutinous rice, coconut milk, salt & pandan leaves in a steaming plate and steam on high heat for 30mins until cooked. Remove and fluff up the rice. Mix one bowl cooked rice with bunga telang liquid and mix till colour is well blended. Mix with the plain rice.
- Divide rice into 2 portions : 1 portion for sushi version, the other portion divide into 8 servings for wrapping into banana leaves.
- Place 1 part of glutinous rice onto a piece of banana leaf. Put in some pork floss in the centre. Roll up tightly and seal the edge with toothpicks. Grill over heated pan until char. Serve.
For sushi version : Place a piece of nori seaweed, smooth side down, on a rolling mat. Spread glutinous rice evenly over the seaweed leaving 1 cm gap at both ends. Spread my pork floss in the middle and roll up tightly with the guide of the rolling mat. Slice with a sharp knife. Serve.