While planning to cook this dish which suppose to be spicy, then thought of why not prepare another sauce which is non-spicy for the kids?? Still have some balanced yuzu (honey citroen) jam in the pantry, so thought of making a yuzu sauce with it? Back to searching some related recipes on web and found several versions on making the yuzu sauce and I use that as a guideline and come up with my version :) Spicy or sweet version? Both I like! :)
Chicken with Lychees in Hot & Spicy Sauce
Chicken with Lychees in Yuzu Sauce
Recipe adapted from Good Food Magazine
- 1 kampong chicken, halved
- 2 tbsp chinese wine
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 stalks spring onion, shredded
- 4 sliced ginger, shredded
- 1 canned lychees, drained
- toasted sesame seeds
- Marinate chicken with wine, sesame oil, soy sauce & fish sauce for 2 hours.
- Place spring onion and ginger in a steaming pan, arrange the chicken on top and steam over preheated steamer for 30mins until cooked through.
- Cool down chicken before slicing or shredded. Reserve broth for cooking the sauce (refer recipe below).
- Arrange chicken and lychees on a serving plate, drizzle over Yuzu Sauce or Hot & Spicy Sauce, garnish with spring onion and sesame seeds. Serve.
Yuzu Sauce for kids, Hot & Spicy Sauce for adults :)
Yuzu Sauce : Combine 2 tbsp steamed chicken gravy, 2 tbsp yuzu jam, 1 tbsp mirin, 1 tsp sesame oil and mix well...drizzle on steamed chicken.
Hot & Spicy Sauce : Blend 2 red chillies, 1 tbsp soybean paste, 3 cloves garlic, 2 tsp sugar till fine. Heat 2 tbsp oil in pan, stir fry paste till fragrant and oil separated. In a clean pot, bring 10 tbsp steamed chicken gravy with 2 tbsp wine to boil, for 5mins. Add fried chilli paste and bring to boil again. Turn off heat and drizzle over steamed chicken.