Check out Malaysian Food Fest created by Wendy of Table for 2! For the month of August it will be hosted by Cindy of Yummy Lil Cooks (Melaka) :)
This is the first time I tasted this sweet version radish cake, not able to compare with other homemade ones! But I do like my own made one hahaha...my girl? neh...after one small bite shake her head. But my boy loves this to bits maybe because of the crushed peanuts :P
I read from book that this traditional Nyonya Radish Cake is served during the Peranakan wedding functions...Love its combination of slightly sweet and savoury flavour and definitely must served with the crushed peanuts!!
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Food Magazine
Nyonya Radish Cake
Ingredient (makes a 6" square cake)
- 200gm rice flour
- 40gm tapioca flour
- 20gm corn flour
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 100gm sugar
- 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp alkaline water
- 600ml water
- 60ml oil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 400gm raddish, shredded and squeezed out water
- 100gm peanuts, toasted and removed skin
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
- 50gm sugar
- Mix all ingredient A evenly.
- Heat oil and fry shallot till fragrant. Remove fried shallots. Add in shredded radish and fry until fragrant for 5mins. Add into ingredient A and mix well.
- Pour batter into a greased 6" square pan and steam over preheated steamer on high fire for 40mins until cook through.
- Cool completely before slicing.
- Blend ingredient C finely and serve with sliced radish cake.