The latest craze in Singapore? 老伴豆花! ^-^ I've yet to have the chance to visit that particular stall at this Old Airport Road, but I taste a couple of similar wobbly smooth soy bean curd from other stalls. Past weeks I've been experiment on making soy bean curd using setting element : GDL, Gelatine & Agar Agar Powder!!
I've failed twice for the GDL & Agar Agar Powder version and got it right on first attempt for Gelatine version :D Taste wise the, gelatine soy bean curd is the least of my favourites!
GDL Soy Bean Curd
Recipe adapted from Wendy's Blog & Mrs Teng's Blog
- 1 litre Unsweetened Soya Milk (I used Sobe Brand)
- 1/2 tsp GDL (Gluco Delta Lactone)
- 1/4 tbsp Cornstarch (I used 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp)
- 1 tbsp Water
For Syrup (Put all ingredient in pot and bring to boil. Set aside to cool)
- 2 blades of Pandan Leaves (cut in 2 inches section)
- 3 slices of ginger (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- 1 cup Sugar (I used Osmanthus Sugar)
- While waiting for milk to boil, mix GDL, cornstarch and water in a small bowl and set aside
- When milk starts to boil. Turn off heat. Leave it for 5 minutes to cool to about 90 degree celcius (Or you may like to strain milk into another pot to bring down the temperature)
- Stir the GDL mixture before pouring into a clean pot. Pour the hot milk into the pot with the GDL mixture in a gushing manner. Use a spoon and remove the bubbles (Do not stir)
- Cover with a piece of cloth before putting the lid. Let milk set for an hour (Do not move the pot)
- Can be served hot or cold with pandan syrup
Gelatine Soy Bean Curd
Recipe adapted from Cuisine Paradise
- 500ml Sobe Unsweetened Soy Bean Milk
- 2 tsp of Gelatine Powder
- Heat up soy bean milk in a saucepan over low heat(do not let it boil).
- Put gelatine powder in a small bowl, ladle about 50ml of the warm soy milk in it and stir till gelatine powder melt and well mixed.
- Next pour the gelatine mixture into the remaining warm soy milk and let it simmer for another 30 seconds(careful not to let it boil).
- Off the heat. Let mixture cool off slightly before sieving it into prepared containers to cool completely.
- Chilled mixture for at least 3 - 4 hours in the fridge before serving with osmanthus sugar syrup (recipe as per above).
Soy Bean Curd set by Agar Agar Powder
wobbly good! I like this texture rather than the gelatine version one : Thanks Wendy for the tips on how to cook the mixture after I've failed the 1st attempt!
Recipe adapted (with modifications) from Nasi Lemak Lover's Blog
- 600ml Sobe unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2tsp agar-agar powder
- Divide soy milk into two equal portion (300ml for each).
- Pour one portion 300ml into a heavy bottom saucepan and stir in agar agar powder, bring to boil.
- Pour in the other portion into the boiling milk. Stir well and remove from fire.
- Pour the hot soy milk mixture into bowls, containers or ramekins.
- Skim off the bubbles on top. Allow to sit for about 15mins to cool, skim off a thin layer of tofu curd on top.
- Store in the fridge for 4 hours or just keep it in room temperature till it set. Serve with sugar syrup