Chiffon Again! :D I always loves osmanthus fragrant :D But quite disappoint with the result, I should have thrown in the osmanthus flower into the batter rather than straining it away. Can't really detect the osmanthus flavour though I've added a tbsp of dried flowers at the last minute.
Osmanthus Flower & Osmanthus Sugar
Recipe adapted (with modifcations) from Vivian Pang's Kitchen
- 50gm osmanthus sugar
- 4 tbsp osmanthus, 桂花
- 120ml water
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 40gm corn oil
- 100gm Top flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp osmanthus, 桂花
- 5 egg whites
- 30gm sugar
- Put all ingredients (A) into a pot. Bring to boil, off heat and let it sit for 10mins. This is to bring out more aroma from the herbs. Set aside to cool.
- Pour egg yolks, salt and oil in a bowl. Stir well.
- Add in the cool syrup from (A). Stir well.
- Fold in sifted flour and baking powder. Mix till smooth. Stir in osmanthus.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites till frothy. Add sugar gradually and beat till stiff.
- Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporated.
- Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combined.
- Pour into chiffon mould. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 45mins.
- Immediately invert it after removal from oven. Leave to cool. When cake is cold, remove from mould. Served.