Yeah!!! Finally attempt this Panda Bread after bookmarked in my to-do list for very very long! Though one side of the ear is not properly shaped and the features are lopsided, overall it still look adorable to me!!
Recipe adapted from Taro Taro & Florence Blog
- 230gm bread flour
- 70gm cake flour
- 30g sugar
- milk + 1 yolk = 200gm
- 4.5g salt
- 20gm unsalted butter
- 4gm instant yeast
- 8gm green tea powder dissolved in 10gm boiling hot water
- 8gm cocoa powder dissolved in 10gm boiling water
- Heat up milk and yolk to temperature of 38 deg cel. (I beat the yolk lightly with milk and send it to the microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds).
- Place all ingredient in a mixing bowl, except butter, knead for 10mins until a smooth. Add in butter and knead evenly till dough is springy, another 10mins.
- Divide dough (about 560g) into 3 parts: 75g for the chocolate, 210g plain and the rest of the dough which is less than 280g for the green tea.
- Add chocolate paste to the 75g dough and knead till the colour is even. Add green tea mixture to the 280g dough and knead till colour is even.
- Prove all 3 pieces of doughs on separate greased plates covered loosely with oiled cling wrap for 60 minutes.
- Punch air out of dough and prove for another 30 minutes.
- Use 90g plain dough for the face and 2 pieces of 27g chocolate dough for the eyes. (Refer to photo guide in Step (7) in TARO’s site).
- Fill the hollow of the eyes with 30g plain dough. (Refer to photo guide in Step (8) in TARO’s site).
- Roll remaining plain dough over the patterned dough. (Refer to photo guide in Step (9) in TARO’s site).
- Divide the remaining chocolate dough into 2 pieces (17.5g each) for the ears. (Refer to photo guide in Step (10) in TARO’s site).
- Use 70g of the green tea dough to fill up the hollow between the ears. (Refer to photo guide in Step (11) in TARO’s site).
- Wrap the rest of the green tea dough all around the patterned dough. (Refer to photo guide in Step (12) in TARO’s site)
- Place dough into a well-greased loaf pan and cover it with a lid and prove for 50 – 60 minutes in an enclosed area eg. microwave oven.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35 mins.