This is my maiden attempt on baking a loaf bread! Been pondering for quite some time in making a loaf bread, as afraid it may turn out hard as rock or just deflated and out of shape :P What a relief when the loaf turns out better than I expected! :D Soft, fluffy texture with crusty crumbs :D
rising high after 60mins! almost overfilled :P
my light lunch, tuna sandwich :D
my 26 mths old lil princess munching a slice of bread
Overnight Sponge Dough ( 隔夜中种)
- 100gm bread flour
- 60gm water
- 1/4 tsp yeast
- Mix the yeast with 20gm of water until well mixed. Add in the remaining ingredients and knead to form a dough (I knead for 5mins). Let it proof for 30mins. Seal in ziplog bag and chill in fridge overnight or up to 48 hours.
Wholemeal Loaf Bread
- 190gm bread flour
- 80gm wholemeal flour
- 20gm brown sugar
- 5gm salt
- 5gm instant yeast
- 60gm overnight sponge dough
- 170gm cold water
- 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp honey
- 20gm shortening
- Mix flour, sugar, salt & yeast in a mixing bowl. Cut sponge dough into small pieces and place into the mixing bowl.
- Add in water and honey and mix into a rough dough.
- Add in shortening and knead to form a smooth and elastic dough. (I hand knead for 10mins)
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let it proof for 45mins.
- Gently punch down the dough to release gas and knead lightly. Shape into round again and rest for another 10mins.
- Flatten the dough and roll out about 8cm x 20cm in size. Roll up like swiss roll and place into a greased loaf pan. Cover the pan, giving ample space on top and let it proof for 60mins until double in bulk.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg for 30-35mins until golden brown. Remove from oven and unmould immediately and cool completely on wire rack.