Baked this loaf bread yesterday night and just sliced it the morning. The texture is still very soft and with milky fragrant as I glaze the surface with milk instead of beaten eggs :D
Recipe adapted from Happy Home Baking
Ingredients (I use a 25 x12.5 x 7.5 cm pan)
- 300 gm bread flour
- 30 gm caster sugar
- 4 gm salt
- 5 gm instant yeast
- 175 gm milk
- 40gm egg
- 45 gm unsalted butter , cut into cubes
- 6 gm matcha powder
- 2.5 tsp hot water
- milk for glazing
- Mix matcha powder with hot water to form paste, set aside.
- Stir bread flour, caster sugar, salt, and instant yeast in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre, add in egg. and milk. Mix the ingredients with a scraper to form into a rough dough.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough till smooth for about 10mins.
- When the dough is smooth, knead in the butter. Continue to knead the dough until it no longer sticks to your hand, becomes smooth and elastic. This should take about another 15 to 20 mins.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Knead the matcha paste into one of the doughs. Knead till dough becomes smooth and the matcha paste is fully incorporates into the dough, takes about 5 mins.
- Place each dough (separately) in lightly greased mixing bowls, cover with cling wrap and let proof for about one hour, or until double in bulk.
- Remove the doughs from the bowls and give a few light kneading to press out the gas in each dough. Roll into rounds. Cover with a damp cloth or cling wrap and let the doughs rest for 15mins.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten each dough and roll out into a rectangular shape, about 25cm x 40cm. Place the matcha dough over the plain dough. Starting from the shorter side, roll up the dough tightly, make as many rolls you can. The resulting roll/log should be around 25cm in length. Pinch and seal the seams.
- Place dough seam-side down in lightly greased loaf pan. Cover with cling wrap. Let the dough proof for the second time, about 60mins. Glaze with milk.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 deg cel for 35mins. Unmould the bread immediately when removed from the oven. Cool completely before slicing.