Japchae (Stir-Fried Sweet Potato Noodle with Vegetables) is a Korean dish made from sweet potato noodles called dangmyeon, stir fried with various vegetables like carrots, onion, chives and mushrooms. It is then flavoured with light soy sauce and sugar, but I used Korean BBQ sauce (pics below) as indicated behind the package of noodle :D
Extract for Wikipedia : "The name, japchae, comprises the two hanja words; jap (hangul: 잡, hanja: 雜, literally "mixed and stirred") and chae (hangul: 채, hanja: 菜, literally "vegetables"). Therefore, japchae literally means "a mixture of vegetable".
Stir-fried individually before tossing together with the sweet potato noodles : chives, carrots, enoki mushroom, shitake mushroom, omelette, onions
- 250gm Korean Sweet Potato Noodles
- 250gm onion, thinly sliced
- 100gm enoki mushrooms
- 100gm fresh shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 250gm carrots, julienned
- 100gm chives, cut into 2cm strips
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten and fried into omelette
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 8-10 tbsp Korean BBQ sauce
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add in dried sweet potato noodle and cook for 8mins. Drain away hot water and plunge noodles in cold water (this will makes the noodles more springy).
- Heat a little oil in pan and fry onions with a pinch of salt, stir-fry till onion is soften. Dish up and set aside.
- Repeat steps for enoki mushroom, shitake mushroom (add a splash of water while frying), carrots & chives.
- Heat 5 tbsp oil in pan , add garlic and fry till fragrant. Add in noodles & seasoning sauce and mix evenly. Add in vegetables & omelette and toss evenly to mix and well coated with sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve.