Especially requested by Hubby ^-* ...I've used Seah's Brand prepacked Bak Kut Teh spices before, but have to add other ingredients to improve the taste. I browse through some blog and found Ellena's recipe and decided to improvise from there :D My hubby commented very nice but suggested to add more white pepper next time!!
Recipe adapted (with slight modification from Cuisine Paradise
Ingredient: (serves 4)
- 1 Packet of Seah's Bak Kut Teh Spices
- 1kg of Spare Ribs/Pork Ribs
- 1 Cluster of Garlic
- 3 Small Onion, cut into wedges
- 1 Tablespoon of White Peppercorns (place in muslin bag & crushed lightly)
- 1 Tablespoon of Wolfberries
- 5gm Yuzhu (玉竹)
- 5gm Ginseng (人参须)
- 1200ml water
- salt to taste
- Wash, trim and blanched the spare ribs in boiling water for about 3 - 5 minutes, removed and rinse well. Set aside.
- Preheat a pot with 1 teaspoon of oil, saute the garlic and onion till fragrant, add in the blanched spare ribs and give it a quick stir and cover for 30 seconds.
- Next add in 1 litre of water and bring the mixture to boil, then drop in the pre-packed seah's spices, white peppercorns bag and yuzhu.
- When the soup boils, let it simmer for about 45 minutes, add in the wolfberries and continue to cook for another 15 minutes or so. (give the soup a stir once or twice in between the cooking time to evenly distribute the taste of the spices) Add salt to taste.
- Serve with steam rice and cut chilli with dark soy sauce.