I owned a microwave convection oven for years and yet to know that it able to cook fried shallot oil! :P Read Blessed Homemaker's blog and found out she also using the same oven as me :D Yesterday evening quickly started peeling some shallots and 'fry' them in oven, within 15mins is done!! This noon use the shallot oil to make the braised fish and fried shallot as topping for the fried noodles (check out my next posting ^-*) yum yum yum!! Hubby and son could not stop saying Very Nice Very Nice, hahaha.....Recipe adapted from Blessed Homemaker
- 15 - 20 Shallot/small onions
- Cooking Oil (I use soybean oil)
- Peel the outer skin of the shallots and sliced it thinly.
- Put the sliced shallot in a microwaveable bowl.
- Add enough oil to cover the shallot.
- Cook on High for 4 - 5 minutes. Give it a stir and continue to cook for another 2 mins. Reduce to medium low (70% heat) and cook for a further 2 - 3 mins, stirring in between.
- Stop when the shallot turns slightly golden in colour. Do not cook till brown as the hot oil will continue to cook the shallot, resulting in very dark/burnt shallot.
- Let it stand for 1 - 2 mins to allow it to cook further and carefully remove the bowl from microwave.
- Drain fried shallot and leave to cool completely (do not leave them soaking in the oil as the shallot will turn soft). Store in glass container and keep it in the fridge. Do the same for the shallot oil.
Cooking time depends on your microwave and the amount of shallots used. I'm using Sharp R888.