Love the vibrant colour of this Kuih Sago! :D Instead of using normal food colouring, I substitute with strawberry paste & pandan paste :D
- 300gm sago
- 200gm sugar
- 600ml water
- 2 tbsp pandan juice
- 1 tsp pandan paste
- 1 tsp strawberry paste
- 100gm grated coconut + extra for serving
- 50gm gula melaka, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Grease a 7" square pan and lined with plastic sheet. Grease lightly again. Set aside.
- Boil sugar & water in a medium pot. Add in sago can cook till semi-transparent, stirring frequently. (liquid will all be absorbed by the sago and the mixture will be thick)
- Scoop 2 tbsp of the cooked sago and set aside. Divide the remaining into 2 portions.
- Mix one portion with strawberry paste and the other portion with pandan juice & pandan paste.
- Pour the red mixture into the pan and steam for 15mins.
- Combine grated coconut, gula melaka & 2 tbsp reserved sago and spread over step (5).
- Pour green sago mixture over and continue to steam for another 25mins.
- Cool completely before unmoulding.
- Smear a knife with oil (to prevent sticking) and cut kueh into slices. Coat with extra grated coconut and serve.