- 12 chicken wings – clean and cut
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 stalks lemongrass – finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 shallots – sliced thinly
- 3 bird eyes chilies – finely sliced
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- To make the caramel, gently heat up the sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan until it turns golden. Set it aside.
- Heat up the wok with 2 tbsp of oil. Stir fry the lemon grass, grated ginger and shallots until fragrant and lightly brown.
- Add in the wings; toss them around the wok to brown. Pour in the caramel sauce, seasonings, kaffir lime leaves and bird eyes chilies. Give it a few stir and turn down the heat.
- Cover and let it simmer 20 – 25 minutes or until tender and sauce caramelized.
- Remove and serve warm or at room temperature.