freeze to set before cooking....
this one with added chilli powder...
Recipe adapted from Mrs Teng's Blog
- 500gm Spanish Mackerel (scrap out the flesh in chunks)
- 500gm Fish Paste (get from wet market Yong Tau Foo seller or NTUC)
- 6 Kaffir leaves (finely chopped)
- 4 Eggs (medium size)
- 100 ml Thick Coconut milk (Kara brand)
- 100 gm Coconut cream powder (Kara brand)
- 4 candlenuts
- 3 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 stalk lemongrass (sliced finely)
- 1 thumb size galangal
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 pcs shallots
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 15gm Belachan , toasted
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp oil
(Note : NO Salt is used because the fish paste is already salted so there's not requirement to add more salt)
- Blend all the candlenuts, lemongrass, garlic, shallots, galangal, belacan together with 100ml of Thick coconut milk.
- Mix chilli powder, turmeric powder, rice flour, pepper, sugar, oil and the coconut cream powder together with the blended mixture.
- Lightly beat the egg and pour into the mixture and blend well.
- Add fish paste and chopped kaffir leaves and mix well.
- Finally add the fish chunks and combine well. (Do not over mix)
- Spoon into plastic sheets and wrap into individual plastic containers as suggested in the picture below. You may have better way of storing the paste, by all means do so. But remember to store it in batches.
- Leave it in freezer overnight for the paste to set before cooking.
- Wrap in banana leaf and bake in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for 25mins. (do not thaw the otah)