freeze to set before cooking....
this one with added chilli powder...
Recipe adapted from Mrs Teng's Blog
- 500gm Spanish Mackerel (scrap out the flesh in chunks)
- 500gm Fish Paste (get from wet market Yong Tau Foo seller or NTUC)
- 6 kaffir leaves (finely chopped)
- 4 eggs (medium size)
- 100 ml thick coconut milk (Kara brand)
- 100 gm coconut cream powder (Kara brand)
- 4 candlenuts
- 3 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 stalk lemongrass (sliced finely)
- 1 thumb size galangal
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 pcs shallots
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 15gm belachan , toasted
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp oil
(Note : No salt is used because the fish paste is already salted so there's not requirement to add more salt)
- Blend all the candlenuts, lemongrass, garlic, shallots, galangal, belacan together with 100ml of thick coconut milk.
- Mix chilli powder, turmeric powder, rice flour, pepper, sugar, oil and the coconut cream powder together with the blended mixture.
- Lightly beat the egg and pour into the mixture and blend well.
- Add fish paste and chopped kaffir leaves and mix well.
- Finally add the fish chunks and combine well. (Do not over mix)
- Spoon into plastic sheets and wrap into individual plastic containers.
- Leave it in freezer overnight for the paste to set before cooking.
- Wrap in banana leaf and bake in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for 25mins. (do not thaw the otah)