Soft & moist orange & chocolate flavoured butter cake! these 2 flavours matched very well indeed! You see the deep yellow section of the cake? You must be thinking I've added a lot of yellow colouring to the batter! heee but is not! It is actually Turmeric Powder!! Initially I've added only 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder to the batter, I find it not deep enough therefore added another 1/2 tsp to it. No worries at all as it does not affect the taste of the cake , the orange flavour is still very distintive. So why not use turmeric powder as natural colouring instead of artificial food colouring in your bakes next time? :D
- 175gm butter
- 110gm sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 175gm plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tbsp soymilk
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- 1 orange zests
- Beat the sugar and butter together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Sift flour, baking powder & salt over and fold in gently.
- Divide the mixture in half. Add the cocoa and milk to one half, stirring until well combined. Flavour the other half with the orange juice, turmeric powder (if using) and grated orange zests.
- Place spoonfuls of each mixture into a lined 9" x 5" loaf panand swirl together with a skewer, to create a marbled effect. Bake in a preheated oven at 160 deg cel 35mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.