Tuesday, April 12, 2011

East meet West...

I never buy these sprouts before, they are always given by my mother-in-law! :D I do not really know how to cook this vegetable to make it tastier as it really got a very strong taste, either you love it or hate it! Yesterday night I sit in front my PC and search on information on these mini cabbage :D

Then I know that they are an autumn & winter vegetable cultivated in the European regions. They are packed with nutrients like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Folic Acid & Dietary Fibre. They also contain sulforaphane, a chemical believed to have potent anti-cancer properties, similar to broccoli, another love-hate vegetable hahaha!! and the most informative discovery I've found out is that they only smell when OVERCOOKED!! Therefore I bear that in mind when I cook this batch of brussel sprouts. They also do not keep well in fridge, the most 2-3 days and will start to wilt and turn yellowish. I steamed the sprouts for 6mins and set aside some for cooking and the rest I store into the freezer for future use :)


Sprouts with Shitake Mushroom & Chinese Sausage

Ingredient
  • 200gm brussel sprouts
  • 50gm chinese sausage
  • 5 pc dried shitake mushroom
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp light soya sauce
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
Method
  1. Soak shitake mushroom till soften. Retain liquid and slice.
  2. Trim the sprouts and steam over boiling water for 6min. Cut into halves and set aside.
  3. Blanch chinese sausage in boiling water for a min. Remove casing and slice thinly.
  4. In a dry and clean pan (do not add oil), stir fry sausage until crisp and lightly brown. Remove from fire.
  5. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in pan, add garlic & shitake mushroom, stir fry till fragrant.
  6. Toss in brussel sprouts and chinese sausage, mix evenly. Drizzle in retained liquid and light soya sauce. Stir to combine. Remove from fire.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails