How to clear the extra mandarin orange on hand? Besides using to make salad, I've found this recipe on site using mandarin orange juice to make scones! love the citrus flavour and not too sweet also....
- 125gm unsalted cold butter
- 250gm plain flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp mandarin orange zest
- 5-6 tbsp mandarin orange juice*
- 1 egg, for glazing
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Rub butter into flour, sugar, baking powder and salt with finger tips until mixture becomes a fine crumb. Stir in 1 egg, cranberries, mandarin zest and mandarin juice.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly about 10 times. Do not over handle the dough. Dough should be non-sticky and slightly elastic. Roll dough to ½" thick and cut into shapes. Place onto lined baking tray and brush dough with beaten egg. Bake at 160 deg cel for 12-15mins until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
I'm submitting this recipes for Aspiring Bakers #4 Love In The Air February 2011!!