So far most of my chiffon recipe are adapted from Kevin Chai recipe book which I like it very much :) For this coffee chiffon I have made some modification on the original recipe, eg. reducing the sugar content, increasing the liquid and dry ingredient...the chiffon turns out great! light & soft texture with a subtle coffee flavour and the sweetness is just right.
* 2 tbsp instant coffee (i used expresso dark roast granules)
* 50ml warm milk
* 4 egg yolks
* 50ml corn oil
* 100gm castor sugar
* 100gm plain flour, sifted
* 4 egg whites
* 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Dissolve coffee granules in warm milk. Whisk egg yolks with 50gm sugar till smooth. Stir in coffee mixture & corn oil. Fold in flour till batter forms.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar till foamy. Gradually beat in 50gm sugar on high speed in 3 additions till stiff peak formed.
- Fold in 1/3 of the egg white foam into coffee batter. Mix evenly. Pour the batter into the balance egg white foam and fold in gently till combined.
- Pour into ungreased 8 inch tube pan. Tap the pan on hard surface to release excess trap air bubbles and bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 30-35 mins. Invert immediately to cool completely before removing from pan.