Been having pasta meal over the weekends...bolognese sauce needs time to simmer, so I cooked and store overnight in the fridge. The next day I just prepare the Béchamel Sauce and bake the lasagne. but I made a blunder :( at the last layer, miss out the meat sauce layer and only spread the white sauce over the lasagne sheet, resulting a crispy top as can be seen on the picture above...
- 30gm butter
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 500gm minced beef
- 2 x 411 canned tomatoes, crushed
- 5 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- salt & pepper to taste
- 250gm instant lasagne sheets
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- bechamel sauce (refer below)
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep saucepan. Saute garlic till fragrant, add onion, carrot & celery. Stir fry over medium heat till soft.
- Turn on heat, add minced beef. Use a wooden spoon to break up the lumps. Cook for 5 mins till brown. Add canned tomatoes, tomatoe paste & herbs. Bring to boil, reduce heat & simmer for 45mins. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Trim lasagne to fit baking dish. Spread a layer of meat sauce over the base follow by a thin layer of bechamel. Lay a lasagne sheet on top , gently press down. Continue with the layers : meat sauce, white sauce & lasagne. Make sure the lasagne are well covered with meat sauce to ensure it is soft after baking. Complete last layer with white sauce and sprinkle over parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 45mins till golden brown. Set aside for 15 mins before cutting.
Béchamel Sauce (white sauce) is a key ingredient in making lasagne. It cannot be omitted :) A short video I found on youtube on making this sauce...
- 50gm butter
- 40gm plain flour
- 500ml milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Melt the butter over low heat until foaming. Add flour and stir constantly for 2 mins.
- Remove pan from heat, gradually stir in milk. Return to heat and bring to boil stirring constantly, until thickens. Season with nutmeg, salt & pepper. Simmer for another 2 mins. Use immediately.