Thai Red Ruby served in Chilled Coconut Syrup
Coat diced water chestnut in red food coloring
Sieve to remove excess flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pack ayam brand coconut milk
- pandan leaves
- 16 pcs water chestnut
- 8 drops red food colouring
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- Dissolve sugar in water by bringing it to boil. Add pandan leaves, continue to boil for about 10 mins.
- Add the coconut milk, keep stirring, don’t leave it alone, once it’s boil, lower down the fire and stir for another 10 mins, just to make sure it’s cooked and not easily spoil.
- Then remove, wait till room temperature and chill in the fridge.
- Peel the skin from the water chestnuts. Dice them into small cubes. Mix the diced water chestnuts with red food colouring. (I've added minimal colouring therefore the cooked chestnut is slightly on the pink side instead of red ruby colour)
- Add the diced water chestnuts into a plastic bag of tapioca flour and shake well to cover them with flour. Pour the water chestnuts from the bag into a sieve. Sieve away the excess flour.
- Boil water in a saucepan. Pour the water chestnuts into the boiling water and let it cook till you see a 'transparent' coating on the cubes.
- Remove and drain the water chestnuts. Cool in a bowl of iced water.
- Scoop some water chestnuts into a dessert serving glass and fill it with coconut milk mixture. Add some ice cubes into the bowl and serve immediately.